- When the body starts to feel stress, certain hormones like cortisol are released.
- It's those hormones that then make comfort foods actually taste better, sparking cravings.
- It is the fatty foods and the sugar-laden foods that tend to help lower those stress hormones, only temporarily. This represents an inappropriate, inadequate response to stress, as it is very short term.
- Individuals with excess belly fat have an exaggerated response to cortisol which may be why it's difficult for some to lose that weight in the midsection.
- Researchers have also found that exercise, meditation, and massage can be useful in a weight-loss strategy because they keep stress levels from peaking which keeps people out of the junk food.
Technorati tags: eating disorders, obesity, stress