Monday, May 22, 2006

Psychopathology text reviews

Quite some time ago, I promised that I would write reviews of the books that I had required as reading for my students in their classes. I've been quite a bit sidetracked with things lately, and have not been able to keep up my end of the bargain. So, I've begun to update the site with some other book reviews.

Sameroff, A.J., Lewis, M., & Miller, S.M. (2000). Handbook of Developmental Psychopathology, 2 ed. Springfield, MS: Springer Publishing.

Generally, the students in my class enjoyed this textbook and felt that it gave good information. They also felt that it would be something that they would refer back to on a frequent basis. Although I enjoyed the text as well, I felt as if some of the chapters were incomplete, and often sacrifices some pertinetn information for brevity. Nevertheless, the developmental psychopathological approach presented here is priceless and should be valued.


Chess, S. & Thomas, A. (1995). Temperament in Clinical Practice. New York: Guilford Publications.

The students also enjoyed this text, although some students complained about the archaic language which often impeded understanding. I tend to agree with that complaint, but, this book was originally published in the 60's and the general language of most textbooks was somewhat...well, you know what I mean. This book is an excellent primer on temperament; what's more it gives very clear examples of how different dimensions can act alone or in collaboration with other dimensions to present a profile of student functioning. Also, the extra chapters delineating the developmental progression of temperament throughout the lifespan helps the reader to identify how temperament changes throughout the life. All that, plus, great case studies really sell this book for me. You would be wise to pick up a copy.

No comments:

Google